Friday, October 14, 2016

Blog post #7- Risk and Uncertainty

Every decision that we make, regardless of whether it is and financial, social, or personal decisions, has an impact on our future. For the most part, the greater the decisions, the bigger impact it will have on your future.  Certain people make their decisions with an eye towards the future, more so than others. Others prefer to focus on the present and make the decision that is most optimal in the present, with little regard for how it will affect their future. In my own personal experience, I have had brief periods when my decision making has had little regard for the future, and other periods when every decision, small or large, was made with an “eye towards the future.”

Prior to arriving at college, mainly speaking of the high school years, my decision making in all aspects of life was mainly driven by what seemed optimal in the here and now, with little regard for the future. I consider myself lucky with the freedom I was given to make my own decisions, with very little limitations. With so much uncertainty in future outcome from decisions made in high school, the risk was somewhat unknown in this situation. Many high school students, like myself, do not have a clear path for them at such a young age, and have little to no preference for what their future career will be. This lowers the risk of many decisions being made because no clear outcome is preferred. I chose the classes that I found interesting, activities I found fun, and had economic assistance to make any, responsible, economic decisions I needed to without accumulating any debt.

Once I arrived at college the dynamic completely shifted. Since freshman year of college I have been working with the Marine Officer Selection Office to work to become a Marine officer. From the beginning of freshman year on, all of my decisions have been made with regard to accomplishing this goal in the future. Financially, this allowed for a lot of flexibility in decision making, but with a budget. My parents agreed to pay for tuition and housing, while book, food, etc, had to be paid by me. The Marine Corps has allotted me a stipend each semester to pay for these items. This has given me the flexibility to make economic decisions, to work towards achieving my goal, with limitations. This is very similar to a budget restriction incurred by a business, and I, like many businesses, had to decide how to allocate this stipend in the most effective way to improve my progress towards becoming a marine officer.

This career path also had a huge impact on my choice of major. The Marines don’t require a specific major choice for the program, so I had complete freedom in my choice. This eliminated any risk in major choice. Instead of choosing a major that may have been slightly outside my ability, for better job prospects, but with the risk of not succeeding in that major and having to switch, I chose a manageable major that allowed me to get my education without future career implications affecting my decision. This seems to be a rare situation, when compared with organization, as rarely do corporations find themselves with absolute freedom over their decisions, and no effect on their future outcome.


My situation is unique to many college students because of the fact that my ultimate goal drew up a path that limited the amount of decisions that I actually had to make, which allowed for more freedom in some aspects, and several limitations on actions. For example, instead of gaining experience in the economic field over the summers, to gain more knowledge on the subject, I was instructed to go to training for the Marine Corps in Virginia. So while this limited my ability to pursue other interests, it gave me financial freedom, once the training had been completed, to pursue any interests I had. My mindset is very similar to the millions of other who joined the armed services. While the actual service provides a lot of limitations and restrictions, many see “the light at the end of the tunnel,” so to speak. In other words, many armed services members see the freedom that serving in the military allows in the future as far as choosing colleges (paid for by the G.I. Bill), as well as other financial and secondary benefits. 

3 comments:

  1. Because I don't know many other students who have gone the route you have chosen to take, I wonder if you could clear up some factual matter for me. IN particular, near the end of the piece you said college for you was paid by the G. I. Bill. But earlier on you said your parents paid for tuition and housing. So I was confused by who paid what and wonder if you can give a clear accounting of that.

    The next part may be harder for you because it requires some speculation, but I'd like you to talk about what the post college obligation to the marines is and what your income will be during those years. The speculation is about whether you will continue in the marines beyond the obligation and what sort of factors will impact those decisions for you. Again, I don't know much about the details here, but I have a sense that your salary is predetermined at any given rank, but promotions are determined by merit and each promotion carries with it some salary increase. If that is even close to being correct, it shows that a job in the military shares with it jobs in other government positions regarding how pay gets determined. That pay is not very sensitive to market fluctuations, though it must change from time to time, I suspect, to make this path viable for people like you.

    One other question for you, since other students have written about this, is whether you have siblings, particularly older siblings, and if their career path had any influence on your decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mentioning how many who choose to join the armed services before attending college, use the G.I bill to pay for their college, as well as using it for graduate school if they had already completed college. I am not using the G.I bill because I have not yet served in the military.

      Due to recent revelations, I have had a shift in what my plan is for my career in the military, and I am less educated on this path than what I had previously planned so I will explain my previous path. I had previously planned on going through the aviation pipeline, which would mean several years of training after graduation, and one's obligation, of eight years, starts upon completion of that training. The income is a set rate based on rank, and time in service. Promotions are on a pretty set timeline based on time in service, but one can speed up the the timeline based on merit, and positive performance reviews. An aviation pay bonus is allotted to aviators as well once all aviation training has been completed.

      If I were to have gone down this pipeline it is difficult for me to speculate whether I would have continued past my obligation. With government pension kicking in after 20 years of service, over half of that time would have been finished before the end of my initial obligation. Financially, the safer, more stable, route would to complete another 10 years of service before retiring from active duty, but I know my preference is never set in stone, and opportunity further down the road may shift this decision making spectrum.

      My older sister chose a career path in college advising immediately after college, but decided to shift careers and will be starting a new job at a financial consulting firm in January. Since our personality types, and decision making factors, have always been vastly different, her choice of career had very little influence over my career choice.

      Delete
  2. The mentality change you experienced at the start of college is not surprising to me at all. This is the first post I've read through, but I wouldn't be surprised if other students went through the same change you did when you did.

    I'm wondering if you can elaborate a little on the timing. It's not as if the moment you walked on campus here, you became this alternate you. Why do you feel your mentality towards current decisions changed once you got to college? Is it because you finally understood what you wanted to do with your life once your got to college? Did you realize that after college your were out on your own so you needed to change your mentality and look ahead more?

    Just curious as to what triggered this substantial change.

    ReplyDelete